REALLY just wanna take this chance to remind the people who follow me to not kill/trap opossums if they’re in your yard, and do not call animal control! Seriously.
- Opossums are literally 100% BIOLOGICALLY INCAPABLE of carrying rabies. Their body temperature is too cool to incubate it properly.
- Opossums are actually quite gentle and NOCTURNAL, so if they’re roaming, they’ve probably gotten lost, been injured, and are looking for a place to hide.
- Young opossums tend to try to climb into garbage cans when they’re starving. This is because THEY ARE LITERALLY STARVING. Don’t fucking shoot them or hit them with things because you wanna be some fucking macho top-of-the-food-chain cocksucker.
- Mama possums are amazing mothers and if you encounter an “aggressive” opossum, it’s probably because she’s got babies hanging off her nipple and she’s freaking out. They’re clumsy. Sometimes they don’t hear you coming and you catch each other off guard.
- Wanna lure an opossum off of your property? You can set up a box with some greens and cat kibble in it, hide it well, and lure them out that way. They’re actually quite harmless and keep other predators away. they eat lotsa gross stuff.
- Opossum mamas who get hit by cars often still have their helpless babies attached to them. Possums get a bad rep and people say they are “the dumbest animal”, but they are incredible creatures who have been around since the days of fucking dinosaurs so treat them well, okay?
Ok, so it mentions the opossum mums that still have babies in their pouch, right? Weird gross sidenote: during the spring and summer, everyone at our rehab facility probably develops a bad reputation, since we tend to go up to roadkill possums and flip them over. The pouch is usually pretty visible, so if she’s carrying babies there’s a possibility they can be rescued (depending on how long the mom’s been dead).
“Beware of Artists” - Actual poster issued by Senator Joseph McCarthy in 1950s, at height of the red scare.
Starting on some variety of bunny-monster, but check out this new box of Sculpey! It’s so clean and soft.
Having a bad day? Here’s some motivational vultures to give you a pep talk! If something that eats carrion and rolls in its own poop can still be awesome, so can you.
For real tho, I have a thing for turkey vultures. They’re just so fascinating!